Ps 103:19 (KJV) 19) The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.
In our Scripture we find a wonderful principle that brings peace and comfort, as well as a great responsibility, to the people of God. What is this principle? Our Lord is in total, absolute control over everything. This basic principle is so important, that in this one verse, it is expressed two different ways and, in doing so, reveals two different aspects of that rule… it’s origin and it’s scope…
First, we are told that “The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens”.
1. A throne is a seat that symbolizes the absolute ruling authority of a King. Knowing that God sits on a throne in heaven teaches us that He holds the authority to reign as a king.
2. When this verse says that the Lord has “prepared” His throne it is teaching us that the Lord hath “erected” or “set up” His own throne. This helps us to understand that the Lord has given Himself the authority to rule. No one gave it to Him. He is the Eternal Possessor of all types of authority and, therefore, the Ultimate Source of authority and rulership…. All authority flows FROM Him, none flows to Him.
3. We are told that it is prepared “in the heavens”. This shows us that the scope of His rule includes heaven and is far above the earth (implying that His rule is also over the entire earth and all the differing levels of authority therein).
Secondly, the verse continues, “and his kingdom ruleth over all”
1. Here, we are told that He possess a “kingdom”. Here we have affirmed for the second time that our God possesses the absolute authority to rule as a King.
2. In the phrase “ruleth over all” we have the scope of His rule made plain for all to see. His authority transcends all other existing authorities, period… “No ifs ands or buts about it”. By saying “all” the verse is implying both in heaven and earth; existing in the past, present or future; in the physical and spiritual realms; HE RULES OVER ALL.
As I said in the beginning of this study…. The truth of God’s sovereign rule is a great blessing to us all… why is this? Because, knowing He is in control assures us of His ultimate victory over, Satan, Sin, Death and any other sinful power in this world…. Rev 17:14“These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him [are] called, and chosen, and faithful.” There are MANY practical applications to this truth that we will have to look at in a later study. But for now, it is enough to simply realize He is, and will be, Victor over all.
But also, I said that this truth revealed a great responsibility for us all. It is the responsibility to be in subjection to the powers of this world that are over us…. Rom 13:1 “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.” The only exception to this principle is when the powers of this world stand in opposition to the commands of the Lord. In only those instances, are we allowed to stand in opposition and disobedience to the powers of this world.
As we begin our day, let us remember that He is in control… and because of this, we are guaranteed to ultimately be victorious over the darkness of this world, through the Sovereign power of our Lord. And the let us go forth, proclaiming our belief and respect for His authority, by living lives that are in submission to the worldly authorities that are over us.
May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: http://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: email@example.com