After about a year of blogging, on the occasion of my 100th blog posting, I would like to throw a gigantic “blogging” celebration for all to enjoy! You, the readers and followers of my blog, have played a major role in this blog continuing on. Your encouraging words and patience have kept me going, even when I didn’t “feel” like continuing. I sincerely, thank the Lord for all of you. I truly believe, if you had not shown interest in my blog, this ministry would have suffered, and perhaps even failed. Whatever eternal results come from this blog you will share in them, and you will be blessed. Thank you so much.
But here is my problem… when I think about it, the only reason why you have been so good to me is because of our Lord. You see, your kind heart, your interest in His Word, and your faithfulness to read and comment, these are all gifts that were given to you by our Lord.
Oh, by the way, this principle applies to me as well. You see, EVERYTHING involved in writing this blog goes back to Him. My physical life, my salvation, my mind, my hands, my feeble understanding of His Word, my weak faith… the list goes on and on. John 9:33 a verse describing our Lord, also applies to me as well. “If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.”
So here is my dilemma, the One who deserves the celebration is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is the One who deserves all the praise, honor and glory for this blog (and everything good in our lives). So how can I throw a party for the Lord? Come to think of it, would He even want a party to be thrown for Him. I’m really not sure, but one thing I know is that a party certainly would not be high on His list of priorities for my life. What would He desire for me to do above all other things? To glorify and honor Him by revealing Him to others. So here goes…. let’s have a celebration for the only One that deserves it … our Lord… in this blog entry number 100, let’s look at our Lord revealed to Moses (and to all of us!).
Exod 34:5-8 (KJV)
And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation]. And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.
And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.
Here, we find that the Lord is revealing His name and attributes to Moses during their second meeting on Mount Sinai.
And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
The Lord now introduces Himself to Moses using six names for Himself:
- The LORD – The Self-existent One – The Only Genuine God who exists of His own attributes not from the workings of others.
- The LORD God – The Self-existent Almighty One – The One who deserves our worship due to His power and existence
- Merciful – The Loving, Kind One – The One who withholds harm from those who deserve His wrath.
- Gracious – The One Who Gives Good to the Undeserving – He bends down to aid those who are beneath Him and are undeserving of His aid.
- Longsuffering – The One Who Is Slow to Anger – The One who waits to send judgment, the One who does not act hurriedly nor without thought.
- Abundant in Goodness – The One that Overflows In Beauty and Kindness – The One that is never unable to forgive, to who grace and to show mercy.
- Abundant in Truth – The Genuine and Accurate One – The One who is truthful in His claims about Himself, His claims about His Heavenly Father, and His promises He makes to us.
As we see His attributes clearly on display, we can summarize His being as follows…. Our Lord is the genuine and truthful, unique, self-existing God who is overflowing in patience, goodness, kindness and forgiveness to those who do not deserve His favors.
Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear [the guilty]; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth [generation].
Now, the Lord continues to reveal Himself using through a description of His workings to mankind. What are the specific works the Lord performs on mankind’s behalf?
- Keeps mercy – guards the mercy He bestows upon sinners. Our Lord saves eternally. The grace and mercy He gives to the sinner will never be taken away.
- Forgives iniquity – lifts and releases the moral evil that is in the life of the fallen individual
- Forgives transgression – lifts and releases the acts of lawbreaking committed by the fallen individual
- Forgives sin – lifts and releases the acts that offend Him done by the fallen individual
- By no means clears the guilty – does not discharge the punishment of those condemned by His law
- Visits iniquity of the fathers upon their descendents – As the descendents follow the sinful examples of their forefathers, the Lord continues to be just and holy as He maintains the generational punishment of sin. The Lord does not exonerate those who pass blame for their sins to their fathers.
To summarize the above workings of the Lord…
Our Lord works on behalf of fallen mankind to grant eternal forgiveness for the many who have disobeyed and rebelled against Him. Although He works to eternally save those for whom Christ died; He shows His perfect justice by punishing those who are unrepentant, whose personal sins remain upon them.
And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshipped.
Moses response to this glimpse of His greatness, kindness and justice … He worships the Lord, bowing his head in humility and submission and appreciation realizing his sinfulness and his pitiful, undeserving condition did not stand in the way of His Holy God’s forgiveness and grace.
For those who are saved…
As we remember our Lord’s greatness and His grace shown to us, let us all respond like Moses. He allowed this message to produce a new appreciation and submission to the will and ways of the Lord.
Ps 95:6-7 (KJV)
6) O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
7) For he [is] our God; and we [are] the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
For those who have not been forgiven of their sin debt.
You can see from the above text, that the Lord is a very patient, kind and loving Lord, who will save anyone who sincerely regrets the sin they have committed and comes to Him humbly seeking His forgiveness and grace. Perhaps this is why the Lord has led you to this blog entry… so that you would come to a better understanding of the greatness and graciousness of the Lord Jesus Christ…
Jer 6:16 (KJV)
16) Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where [is] the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.
For more information about coming to Christ please see my blog page “How To Have A Relationship With God”.
To see this lesson taught on video please go to my Video Blog at http://www.youtube.com/settledinheaven
If you have any questions concerning this blog, or if you have a subject you would like discussed, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will answer all emails via my blog, email, or both.
Take A Look At My Wife’s Artistic/Scriptural Devotion Blog http://alivewithchristart.blogspot.com
Follow my Squidoo Instructional Lens “Presenting God’s Grace” “The Solemn Obligation To Present the Doctrines of Grace to the Lost and Saved Alike” http://www.squidoo.com/presenting-gods-grace
May the Lord bless your study of His Word. Like God’s Word… may your soul’s salvation and your life’s faithfulness be “Settled in Heaven.”