Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
A short reference to the life of Enoch is recorded in Genesis 5:18-24. He is also mentioned in Jude 1:14-15. This is what these verses tell us about Enoch:
- Heb 11: – Enoch lived a life pleasing to God. He affected others around him by this faithful testimony.
- Jude 1: – How did he please the Lord? We are told that he delivered prophecies concerning the Lord’s 2nd coming in the last days.
- Gen 5: – He “walked with God”. By this, we know that Enoch had a close relationship centered on communion with the Lord.
In our Hebrews text, we are told that he was “translated” by God. A result of this “translation” is that Enoch “should not see death”. The word “translated” carries with it three ideas…
- To be carried or transported
- To switch sides or transferred from one to another
- To be changed or reshaped
Based upon the definition of “translated”, and the fact that Enoch did not face physical death, we can begin to understand what took place in the life of Enoch:
- God took Enoch immediately from earth to heaven without Enoch experiencing physical death.
- Since he did not experience death, we can assume that Enoch’s soul did not leave his body. Apparently, when God “took” him, He took both his soul and his body. If this is the case, then his body was glorified allowing it to enter into heaven in a sinless condition.
- (If we remember, this same type of event happened one other time in history when Elijah was glorified and taken to heaven without experiencing death – 2 Kings 2:11).
What a wonderful blessing it would be to “bypass” physical death on the way to spending eternity with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The wonderful truth is each one of us, if we have come to a saving knowledge of Christ, possess the possibility that we will never experience physical death. Our faithful Lord promises us that, if we are living when He comes again, we too, will be glorified and taken to live with Him for an eternity! Let’s thank Him today knowing that, it is possible, we will never face death! (1 Cor 15:51-57)
May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: https://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: email@example.com