The healing of the leper is the next miracle in our series…This miracle is recorded for us in Matthew 8:1-3, Mark 1:40-42 .
Following the Lord’s Sermon on the Mount, a leper approaches Christ, worships Him and requests that he would be healed of His leprosy. Let’s take note of the leper’s request… “Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.” The Lord then grants his request and the leper is immediately cleansed from his leprosy.
For today’s devotion let’s look at the three parts to this leper’s request because in this request we find a perfect pattern for us to follow when we bring our requests before the Lord.
- Lord – the leper recognized he was under the authority of Christ. Therefore, he could not command, nor obligate Christ to fulfill the request he was about to bring to Him.
- if thou wilt – the leper understood that Christ’s response to his request would be in alignment with the desires of Christ. Christ would have the final decision. It would be in fulfillment of the eternal decrees of the God.
- thou canst make me clean. – the leper came before Him in faith, confident that Christ had both the necessary authority over the leprosy, as well as, the ability to heal him of this dreaded disease.
Anytime we bring a request before our Lord do we share in the attitude of this leper?
- Do we come recognizing He is our Lord and therefore not obligated to answer our prayer? Do we see that if He sees fit to answer our prayer it will only be as an act of His glorious grace?
- Do we come understanding we will not be changing His mind, nor manipulating Him in any way? Do we recognize that His eternal counsels from before the beginning of the world are in place and that He will be working in accordance with them?
- Do we come before Him in faith understanding He is the Sovereign Lord over all, with both the authority and the ability to accomplish that of which we are requesting? Are we convinced that no problem we face is too great for Him to remedy?
By God’s grace, our attitude as we come before Him will transform our prayers from selfish requests to acts of worship bringing glory and honor to His name.
May the Lord bless each one of us as we “Think On These Things”.
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: https://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: firstname.lastname@example.org