Our New Beginning In Christ
2Cor 5:17 (KJV) Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
As New Year’s Day approaches, we all have a tendency to reflect upon the events that have taken place in the previous year and look forward to what the coming year may hold for us. Although this earthly experience of a new beginning is profitable, there is an even greater time of new beginnings that is offered to us in the pages of the Bible. I would like us to look at this wonderful time of new beginnings that is graciously offered to us through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. We find teaching summarized in 2 Cor 5:17.
In our previous devotion, we have seen that it is only through the “new birth”, or becoming a “new creature” in Christ, that we can receive this new beginning in Christ. For this devotion, we will be looking at what old things are passed away when we trust in Jesus Christ for our salvation…
“old things are passed away…”
To “be passed away” carries with it three different shades of meaning…
1. to be averted or turned aside
2. to perish, to go out of existence
3. to be ignored, to be passed over
In summary, these old things are “turned away” from us, no longer being held accountable for them; in other words, it is as if they are “ignored” by God; or in that sense, they have “gone out of existence”. Although this phrase has these varied meanings, the basic principle can clearly be seen. When we become new creatures in Christ, the “old things” no longer have eternal effects in our lives.
Keeping this in mind, we can see that when we become new creatures in Christ, it truly becomes a new beginning for us. All the “old things” are no longer eternally applicable to us; it is as if we begin our life anew. But, obviously, the next question is this… what are some of the “old things” of which this verse speaks? What are the things that no longer have eternal results in our lives?
Let me say that it is next to impossible to give a complete listing of all the old things that pass away at our salvation. Because we truly become “new creatures” in Him, the many changes we experience are more than can be numbered. However, we can look some of the most obvious of our “old things”…
1. Our sinful acts – Once we are saved, our sins are no longer on our account, they have been taken by Christ and replaced with His righteousness. (2 Cor 5:21)
2. Our sinful lifestyle/habits – Once we are saved, our manner of living changes, no longer are we the servants of sin, nor are we living a life of consistent sin. Although not sinless, our new life is now characterized by righteousness and holiness. (Eph 4:21-24)
3. Our sinful desires/motives – Once we are saved, our desires are now pointed toward pleasing our Saviour and fulfilling the will of our Lord. (Heb 13:20-21, Col 3:1-4)
4. Our sinful viewpoints – Once we are saved, we look at our lives and the world around us differently. Before, we looked at these things through the lens of selfishness and spiritual blindness. Now, we view everything through the prism of God’s Word and His revealed will for us. (Eph 5:8-14)
5. Our sinful condition – Once we are saved, we are no longer facing the judgment for our sins, nor do we experience alienation/separation from our God. (Eph 2:11-13, Col 1:21-22)
What a blessing and joy it is to know that the “old things” of our lives are passed away and, through His gracious work on our behalf, all thing s have been made new.
May the Lord bless us as we “Think On These Things”
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: https://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: email@example.com