“That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.”
The Grace Of Preparedness (6:10-20)
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
This devotional, continues to look at the second main division of the book of Ephesians. Previously, we have looked at “Reflections Of His Grace Revealed” (chaps 1-3). It that section, Paul revealed to us the gracious works of the Lord in the lives of His chosen people.
In this new section “Reflections Of His Grace Applied” (chaps 4-6) Paul will be explaining to us the practical effects of God’s grace in the lives of His people.
- The Grace Of Unity (4:1-6)
- The Grace Of Maturity (4:7-16)
- The Grace Of Renewal (4:17-32)
- The Grace Of Imitation (5:1-14)
- The Grace Of Wisdom (5:15-21)
- The Grace Of Relationships (5:22-33)
- The Grace Of Authority/Submission (6:1-9)
- The Grace Of Preparedness (6:10-20)
The next effect of God’s grace we will be looking at is the grace of PREPAREDNESS (6:1-10-20)…
One of the greatest needs for Christians is to prepare beforehand for the spiritual warfare in which they face. The Bible clearly speaks of the need to recognize our enemy, the devil, and properly prepare for his attacks upon us …
1Pe 5:8-9 KJV – “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.”
Keeping all this in mind, let’s turn our attention to this is a very basic outline of this section of Scripture:
I. The Need For The Armour Of God (vs 10-13)
II. The Identity Of The Armour Of God (vs 14-17)
III. The Empowerment Of The Armour Of God (vs 18)
IV. The Ministry Enabled By The Armour Of God (vs 19-20)
Now Paul turns our attention to a description of this armour…
“Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:”
Before we begin our study of the individual pieces of the armour of God, let’s look at the suit of armour as a whole…
|Physical Armour||Spiritual Armour||Body Part Protected||Area Of Life Protected||Offensive / Defensive||Text|
|Girdle||Truth||Loins||Strength To Serve||Defensive||Eph 6:14|
|Breastplate||Righteousness||Chest||Possession Of Life||Defensive||Eph 6:14|
|Shoes||Gospel Of Peace||Feet||Acts of Service||Defensive||Eph 6:15|
|Shield||Faith||Entire Body||Comprehensive Walk of Life||Defensive||Eph 6:16|
|Helmet||Salvation||Head||Knowledge, Desires & Will||Defensive||Eph 6:17|
|Sword Of Spirit||Word Of God||Offensive||Eph 6:17|
Based on the above chart we can see several general observations concerning the armour of God:
- God’s Armour covers all the vital organs of the body… brain, lungs, heart, liver, kidneys etc are all covered by pieces of armour as well as protected through use of the shield. This teaches us that, when we are properly outfitted we will not be defeated in battle.
- God’s Armour contains only one offensive piece of armour… the Sword of the Spirit (God’s Word). This helps us to understand that we are to never take Satan’s attacks lightly, nor to let our guard down in any area of our life. The vast majority of the armour is pointed towards fully covering our bodies to hinder his attacks that come upon us.
- God’s Armour is made up of the six-part foundation upon which effectiveness in service to the Lord is built… Truth, Righteousness, Gospel of Peace, Faith, Salvation, and the Word of God.
- Truth (sincerity, genuiness) – our service must be sincere and genuine with no hidden agendas or motives
- Righteousness (a lifestyle aligned with God’s laws and desires) – our service must include living holy lives that stand out from the sin darkened world.
- Gospel Of Peace (the message of Christ that brings peace to the recipient) – our service must be centered on the proclamation of Christ and His work through our actions and words.
- Faith (trust, total reliance upon Christ and His enabling) – our service must be done with a recognition of the need for Christ’s intervention and workings for the service to bear nay true fruit for His glory
- Salvation (deliverance from sin and its results and a receipt of eternal blessings through Christ’s work) – our service to the Lord must be done by those who have genuinely come to repentance and belief in Christ as Lord and Savior. Any service that is performed by a lost man are simply “filthy rags” in the sight of God.
- Word Of God (The doctrinal truths, practical principles and historical record found in the Bible) – These are all to be used as the “instruction manual” in our service for Him. We are to serve Him using the truths found in the Bible (through the leadership of the Spirit within us) to dictate our message, methods, and motives for all areas of our service to Christ.
In our next devotional, we will begin to look at each piece of armour in detail.
Are we properly prepared in our service to Christ? If not, may we all take the time to prayerful study this portion of Scripture, come to a better understanding of its principles, and ask the Lord for grace to apply them to our lives.
May we all get a clearer picture of our Lord and Savior, and the great grace He has shown to us. Let us be always watchful to keep His great acts of grace on our behalf in the center of our attention… In doing so, may we be motivated to LOVE Him more, APPRECIATE Him more and SERVE Him more!
SIH Homepage: http://www.settledinheaven.org
SIH Text Blog: https://settledinheaven.wordpress.com/all-about-salvation/
SIH Video Blog: http://youtube.com/settledinheaven/
SIH Email: email@example.com