(5) And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
Here, in John’s vision, we see the Holy Spirit described as “seven lamps burning before the throne.” Another way to describe this is the seven lamps were lighting the way that led to the throne of God.
This gives us a glorious picture of the work of the Holy Spirit in revealing God to man. Through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, we are given an understanding of the Lord and the way that leads us to the Lord. As sinners, due to our sinful condition as members of fallen mankind, we are blinded to the truths of God. It is only through the intervention of the Spirit in our lives that we are given the ability to understand our great need of deliverance from sin and the path of salvation that leads to the Lord Jesus Christ…
John 14:25-26 KJV
(25) These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
(26) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
In these two verses we have many things for which to thank the Holy Spirit:
- He is our Comforter – He stands with us, enabling us, interceding for us, and comforting us.
- He teaches us all things – He gives us a knowledge, understanding of God’s Word.
- He reminds us – He brings to our mind the Word so that we may apply its principles to our lives.
What a wonderful Lord we serve that would come and dwell within us in the person of the Holy Spirit. The next time we find ourselves reading His Word and learning something new, let’s thank the Holy Spirit for revealing it to us. The next time we find ourselves understanding the proper path to take to please the Lord in life situation we face, let’s thank the Holy Spirit for bringing these principles to our mind and heart.
Folks, our entire day, in the midst of our overly busy schedules, we should take the time to appreciate all that the Lord has done for us. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is one example of the many blessings that are given to us that we may overlook during the course of our day. May we all seek God’s enablement to seek to recognize and appreciate His great works on our behalf!
May the Lord bless us as we seek to serve Him, the One that is so clearly revealed to us in the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ.
For an in depth look at this section of the Revelation: