And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
One of the great promises that God gives to those saints who have died and await His second coming is the promise of a future blessed rest. This rest is said to be given to the servants of the Lord who have been serving the Lord and sacrificing their lives for Him.
To come to a better understanding of the Rev 6:11 passage, let’s take a look at Revelation 14:13…
“And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.” (Rev 14:13)
In this passage, we learn 3 basic truths about the blessed rest of the saints of God…
- “The dead which die in the Lord”– First of all, we receive this eternal rest at the completion of our course here on earth. Following the death of the saints, they enter into a conscious state of rest in the presence of their Lord.
- “they may rest from their labors”– Secondly, when the servant’s work on earth is completed, he enters into a very wonderful special type of rest… It involves a rest from pain, sorrow, and physical suffering. But also, the Christian will no longer have to struggle against sinful flesh, but will now be able to worship the Lord in sinless freedom.
- “their works do follow them”– What a tremendous blessing! Just to know that when we serve the Lord on earth, our labors are remembered into eternity.
These three principles can be seen in the Rev 6:11 passage where:
- The martyrs (“The dead which die in the Lord”)
- Should rest a little season (“that they may rest from their labors”)
- Receive white robes, which are a remembrance of their faithfulness in service (“their works do follow them”)
What a wonderful blessing knowing that God’s people are headed for a wonderful rest with their Lord. It will begin immediately following their death and continue on through eternity! What a wonderful day that will be!
“The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come. He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.” Isa 57:1-2 KJV
“There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.” Heb 4:9-11 KJV
For an in depth look at these sections of the Revelation:
Seals 1-4: http://wp.me/pU88A-3TJ
Next weeks’ posting – Seals 5-6: http://wp.me/pU88A-3Uc