Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
The mark of the beast consists of the number 666 and is described as the number of a man. These two descriptions are simply teaching us the same truth in two differing ways. This is because the number 666 is the number that represents mankind:
- Man was made on the sixth day
- Man falls short of perfection (7 is the number of perfection)
- Man was consigned to 6 days of labor (day 7 was the day assigned to rest and worship)
- Man, due to their fallen nature, stands opposed to the Lord and His people (Goliath is the perfect illustration of this principle – notice the repeated usage of “6” in the description of Goliath the enemy of God and His people in 1 Sam 17:1-7)
Alongside this principle of 6 being a number that is associated with the sinfulness and opposition of lost mankind to the Lord and His people, please notice that “666” stands in stark contrast to “777”. 777 is the perfect number listed three times which denotes a perfect Triune God (The Father, The Son and The Spirit). Therefore 666 seems to indicate an imperfect, rebellious false triune god… (Satan, the beast of the sea, the beast of the earth)
666, as the number of man, teaches us that humanism is the core philosophy of Satan, the beasts and lost mankind. What is humanism? It is the exaltation of man. It is saying that man should be the center of our attention, interest and devotion. Basically, it is giving to man the honor that is due to God alone. In that sense, humanism is making man equal to, or surpassing God Himself.
Humanism seeks followers by exalting man, using man’s pride and arrogance to appeal to the lusts of lost mankind attracting them to become followers. Within the lost community humanism runs rampant affecting every aspect of life…
- Beliefs that mankind can somehow remove the guilt, shame and punishment of sin through a religious reformation, human psychological methods, censoring of the truths Of God’s Word, or even religious genocide can be seen all around us.
- The literal worship of other men can easily be seen in the cult following of political, entertainment, and even religious figures of our day.
- The praising of men works and achievements with absolutely no acknowledgement to the God that has given these men their abilities. Without God they could never have begun to achieve such great accomplishments.
- Looking to men to solve all of the problems of this world is lost mankind’s replacement to looking to their God as the only One truly able to resolve these issues.
These are just a few of the ways humanism can be seen in our society today.
As we see all of these attitudes in the world around us, may we always, as Christians, be on guard to not allow the humanist influences of the world enter our lives. May we always remember that “…For in him we live, and move, and have our being…” (Act 17:27-29), and ALWAYS give to the Lord the honor and glory that he deserves!
For an in depth look at these sections of the Revelation: