Rev 14:4 KJV – “These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.”
The 144,000, symbolic of all who are saved, are described as being “the firstfruits of God and to the Lamb” here in Revelation. The same title is also given to God’s people in James 1:18…
“Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.”
What is meant by the term “firstfruits”?
The firstfruit was the early portion of a crop that was given back to the Lord as an act of worship and thankfulness for His gracious supply…
Pro 3:9 KJV – “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”
Some of the basic priniciples of the firstfruits involved:
- a separation TO the Lord for His use
- a separation FROM the other portion of the crop
- a separation MOTIVATED BY thankfulness
- a separation RESULTING IN bringing honor God
What can we learn about God’s people from these truths concerning His firstfruits?
- God’s people are brought to Himself – John 6:44
- God’s people are brought out of fallen mankind – Romans 5:8-9
- God’s people serve Him out of thankfulness/appreciation of heart– Col 3:17
- God’s people serve Him resulting in God being glorified – 1 Peter 2:12
Are we living as firstfruits for our Lord and Savior?
After all He has done for us by graciously bringing us to Himself, removing us from the bondage of sin, and making us new creatures in Him, how can we not live as if we were offerings given to Him for His glory and praise?
May we all be firstfruits for His glory and grace!
Heb 13:15-16 KJV – “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.”
For an in depth look at these sections of the Revelation: