“And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.”
The end of the powers of darkness can be clearly seen in this text…. never ending, consistent, “torment”. The Greek root word for “torment” is the word for “a touchstone”. A touchstone was a rough-surfaced stone that was rubbed against an unknown mineral. By examining the mark that was left by the touchstone, the true identity of the mineral was revealed.
Just like a touchstone reveals the true nature of a mineral, so too, the Lake of Fire reveals many truths about the Lord and those who experience its torments…
- Reveals the power of the Lord – Isa 33:14, 2 Thes 1:6-9
- Reveals the anger of the Lord – Isa 33:14, 2 Thes 1:6-9
- Reveals the need for fear and reverence of the Lord – Mat 10;28
- Reveals the lost’s alienation from the Lord – Mat 7:23, Luk 16;19-31, 2 Thes 1:6-9
- Reveals God’s curse that is upon the lost – Mat 25:41
- Reveals the lost’s alignment with Satan and the sinful powers of the world – Matt 25:41
- Reveals the lost’s need of Christ – Luke 16:19-31
- Reveals the undoing of the injustices of life – Luke 16:19-31, 2 Thes 1:6-9
- Reveals God’s avenging of the abuse of His people – 2 Thes 1:6-9
- Reveals the sinful nature of the person and works of the lost – Isa 66:23-24, Dan 12:2, Mat 5: 29-30, Mat 7:23, Mar 9:43-48
- Reveals the wages of sinful acts that were committed – Luke 16:19-31, 2 Thes 1:6-9, Hebs 6:1-2
Truly, the eternal punishments brought upon lost mankind are truly a “touchstone” that reveals much about our Lord, the lost, and their great need of Christ.
Every time we read of the eternal punishment of the Lord within in the pages of the Bible, may we remind ourselves of these truths and live them out in our lives by taking the gospel message to the lost that are around us.
For an in depth look at these sections of the Revelation: